We live in the wonderful world of colours. These colours have a profound effect on our psyche.
Believe it or not, but what colour you are tells more about how you are on a particular day.
We all respond in different ways to different colours; some colours help us to relax while some can make us irritable. Wearing certain colours can ensure a raise, win an argument and even encourage friends to spill the latest gossip!
Affect of Colour on the Psyche
Research has shown that every colour has a psyche of its own which is indicated by the intensity of our emotional reaction to it. Scientifically our response to a particular colour can be categorised into two –
1. Physiological i.e. involving the nervous system and
2. Environmental i.e. based on environment and life experiences.
In simple words the retina of the eye focuses on colours as rays of light which have varying wavelengths and sends messages to the brain and the autonomic nervous system.
Colours like red, orange and yellow have longest wavelengths and we require more energy to view them.
Cool colours like blue and green have short wavelengths and so we require less energy to view them.
This is the reason why darker hues like red etc. raise the metabolic rate by raising the pulse rate and energise us while greens and blues sooth and calm us by slowing down the metabolic rate.
We also respond to colours according to our conditioned response like white stands for purity, blue is for boys and pink is for girls etc. If colours have such a profound effect on us and on people around us, does it not make sense to use them to our advantage?
Using Colours to your advantage
- Begin by making a collection of all the colours of the rainbow, it can be in any form like colour pencils, colour cardboard pieces or glazed tiles.
- Make yourself comfortable in a quiet place where you are not likely to be disturbed. Look at each colour one by one and see which colour you are drawn to. It may take some time before you decide on any one colour. This will be the colour your body needs at that time. Now keep the other colours out of sight and gaze only at the colour you have chosen.
- Take a few deep breaths and relax. Allow your body, mind and spirit to absorb the colour’s energy.
- Stop when you start feeling restless, this is an indication that your body has absorbed enough colour.
After this exercise you will notice a profound difference in your mood because your body has instinctively absorbed the colour that it was craving for! The results can sometimes be startling.
Sad, lonely feelings can be changed to cheerful and positive ones; a surge of energy can be pumped into a lethargic and unmotivated person to perform a certain task and an angry person can be calmed down.
You can also keep the chosen coloured tile on your work table and allow your body to absorb the energies of the colour subliminally. It is possible that you may need the same colour for two or three days, but normally your colour will change every day.
Choose colours for a purpose
The colours can also be chosen according to one’s requirements; like
- Choose a red if you want to attract immediate attention as red is the most vibrant colour expressing joy, passion and power.
- Yellow can be the choice if the job in hand requires clear thinking because yellow promotes clarity and optimism,
- Choose an orange to be playful and creative,
- Green is the most relaxing and calming colour reminding us of spring, nature and nurture.
- Blue stands for peace, upliftment and positivity.
- Violet is the colour for spirituality and mystery, no wonder it is the favourite colour of most women!
- Go in for a pink colour if you want send across messages of compassion, non-aggression and romance.
So choose a colour, make a wish and see it come true!
Archana Sharma is an M.Phil in Life Sciences and practises in Astrology, Numerology and alternative therapies. She is currently pursuing research in Medical Astrology.