Recall your last visit to the dietician. He advised you to have small meals at short intervals, isn’t it? This keeps the metabolic rate high as they say and this in turn not only ensures loss of excess weight but also keeps the energy levels zooming. So it is with meditation.
Let us first see what meditation is….. it is a relaxed state of mind. During meditation one relaxes physically and mentally and at the same time accesses one’s subconscious mind. One gets connected to the divine which allows a person to comprehend the purpose of life. View of life gets completely altered. One gets a boost at all levels i.e. physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels.
There are many myths about meditation and one of these is that it can be done only at a fixed place, a fixed time and for some specific time. No doubt this has its own benefits, but what about people who are busy beyond their capacities? They are the ones who need it the most…..How about a snack meditation then?
Snack meditation can be done any time any place in any position, it need not be in the lotus position! It can be done any number of times in a day. Every two hours or so, just close your eyes, relax the whole body and let go;
- sip a cup of coffee, take in the aroma and reflect upon the pleasure it gives you, transport yourself to your favourite holiday spot,
- muse on the good time you had with your friends and family,
- count your blessings one by one,
- hum your favourite song,
- connect yourself with the divine by softly chanting a mantra and contemplating on its meaning,
- remember an inspiring verse and speak it aloud,
- imagine yourself at the foot of the lofty Himalayas, in the shadow of the pines, breathe in fresh mountain air,
- soak in the warmth of a sunny winter noon,
- feel the tingling of the cool breeze,
- look out of the window,
- just smile for no reason at all,
- recall the innocent smile of a baby or
- Just ask the solemn question-“-Who Am I”.
The list is unending and open to imagination. Colours can be used very effectively to enhance the impact of these meditations.
If you are a feeling lazy or a lack of energy, just close your eyes and visualise yourself enveloped in a magnificent red; Facing a problem and looking for solution -surround yourself with yellow and so on.
Remember these are snack meditations, so do not prolong their time period lest it may hamper your work. With regular practice, one can do it with the snap of a finger. Each time you will be refreshed and full of energy. Your efficiency will increase and you will be able to finish your work in a happy state of mind. The advantages are innumerable. And yes, last but not the least, you will be able to shed the extra kilos off your mind!
Archana Sharma is an M.Phil in Life Sciences and practises in Astrology, Numerology and alternative therapies. She is currently pursuing research in Medical Astrology.